Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Counting our Blessings

I know...it has been way too long since I've updated! I'm so sorry, and I'm so glad to have people ASKING for updates and wondering what is going on. We feel so blessed to have friends and family that not only are curious and support us, but love us and want to join with us in prayer in this journey!

John and I have been overwhelmed with gratitude lately for what God has done, so here's a recap of things we are thankful for, hopefully it will serve as a good update as well:

Blessings

  • We were matched with a donor family in July, and we can't stop talking about how perfectly God has provided.
  1. 1 The number of embryos is perfect for us because we set out at the beginning of this journey last year knowing that we could only afford(financially, emotionally) to try two transfer attempts...three embryos allows us to do that (Lord willing, one first and two for our second try).
  2. 2 Our hearts' desire was for Asian children; we knew God didn't have to give us that desire, but we feel so special that he heard our desire, not only met our need.
  3. 3 The genetic (donor) couple truly seem like two people that we share a lot in common with, that we would be friends with, and that we can imagine visiting someday. We are so humbled by their generous donation and love it that we can form this unique relationship through embryo adoption (Lord, you have brought me SO far from where I was two years ago when the idea of open adoption scared me).
  • We found a doctor and clinic in August and last week they officially approved to accept our embryos (even without final blood tests done on the genetic parents!).
  • We got a FET (frozen embryo transfer) date! The nurse called about two weeks ago and told us that it looks like November 18 will be our date! Initially I was frustrated that it was so much later than I anticipated it would be, but now I realize that is for the best because we need that much time to get the contracts signed (both us and the genetic parents), notarized, and mailed plus shipping the embryos from Chicago to Michigan.
  • I am taking off work for three more (I already took off September) months of work, and as far as I know I am welcome to come back to my job when I return to Shanghai. If I just step back and think about that, it's amazing!
  • God had provided for us financially for this adoption in many ways:
  1. 1 Both of our families have been SO generous in giving us money towards the adoption.
  2. 2 A couple of weeks ago, a friend handed me a check for our adoption. I didn't look at it until I got home, but when I did, I found it was the exact amount of our next payment to Nightlight for half of the adoption cost! We have never mentioned the cost of the adoption or payments coming up. God used this incident to speak to me clearly that THIS ADOPTION IS HIS WILL, THIS IS HIS DEAL, not ours, and that no matter what the outcome is, I must walk in these steps because he desires me to and he will use it in my life and the lives of others for HIS GLORY!
  3. 3 Our dear small group in Shanghai sent us off this week with a special prayer meeting, many prayers, a card and donation towards the adoption!
  4. 4 John got a raise at work last week! This just helped me again to trust God that even though taking off 4 months of work, this is the right step and God will provide for us.
  5. 5 God provided a way for us to not have to pay our entire cost of rent for the time that I am off of work. My coworker and her boyfriend are going to stay in our apartment for November and December because their lease is up and they need a place to stay. We need help with the rent since my work won't pay for it while I'm gone. This worked out amazingly.
  • Although John will not be able to be with my for the actual transfer, we are going in together for my first appointment on Friday to meet the doctor, get my protocol etc. In addition, my parents are going to be staying in Michigan almost the whole time I am there. I am so thankful to have family close by and that my mom will be able to come with me to some appointments.
  • I also feel so blessed to have so many friends/family to stay with throughout Michigan during this time of transition, driving between appointments, and just generally trying to stay busy (speaking of which...please let me know if any of you living in Michigan want to hang out/need a babysitter/help of any kind...I'm trying to keep my mind busy, so I don't focus on ME too much!) I am so blessed to have so many people in my life with the gift of hospitality, families that just live with their hearts and front doors wide open!

Prayer Requests

  • For John and I to get some special quality time together while we are here in the U.S. for the next two weeks. We need to cherish it because we will be away from each other for about two months after John goes back to Shanghai.
  • For John back in Shanghai, to not be lonely, to be healthy, for favor and productivity at work, and that we would be able to stay connected daily while away.
  • For my time back, that it would be a good time of connecting/reconnecting with friends and family, blessing others, resting, getting healthy and relaxed, that my mind, body and spirit would be ready to receive our little one on November 18.
  • For me on meds. Pray that I wouldn't have any major side effects to the hormones that I'll be starting this week, that I would be able to deal with the progesterone shots (I just read that I have to take them for like 12 weeks following the transfer, and I have to admit I'm freaking out a little!!) Pray that I would not faint (I'm really good at it!) at all during this process. Pray for peace at every doctor's visit and blood draw.
  • For the thaw and transfer, that God's will would be done and that I would be able to see myself as a vessel of that plan that God has. We do pray and hope for our little baby number one to survive the thaw, that he/she would settle in right away on Nov. 18 and begin to grow strong and healthy inside of me!

God has increased my faith so much already in this journey, that started almost exactly a year ago, that I can't wait to see what he's going to do next. When the tough times come (and I'm sure they will), I need to continue to look back at these blessings (and others) and thank God for bringing us through before so that I can have faith to say that he will do it again!

1 comment:

  1. Stephie Joy! I'm so excited for you both and can't wait to see you soon! Jason and I both would love to see you - he brings you guys up all the time :) We love you! ~Lynn & Jason

    ReplyDelete