Saturday, May 19, 2012

Contentment

My paraphrase of Philippians 4:11-13, and what I hope to learn someday:

I want to learn (and practice for the rest of my life) being joyful no matter what life looks like. I know what it's like to not have something I so badly want, like children, and I know what it's like to feel overwhelmingly blessed, like with family, friends, jobs and our home. I want to cultivate the difficult practice of being satisfied with my portion and my cup, whether it's full of laughter, smiles, and fulfilled desires or whether it's broken, filled by tears of sadness and enough of God's grace just to keep me going. I can and will do anything God gives me to do, but only to the measure that Christ gives me the strength to do it.

2 comments:

  1. I just wanted to let you know I am still reading your blog! I read this and said, "Amen." So difficult to learn! That because God is our portion, our cup overfloweth - even if it doesn't appear that way from the world's point of view; or in the flesh. But just the fact that you desire this - I know it will come to pass. Who else could have put that desire there except for God? And He will bring this work to completion; He is able. Clara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praise God for the Spirit's work in you -- to make you long for godly contentment! Praying this for you as I pray it for myself. May He be strong and sufficient in your weakness! He loves you, so, Steph. Enough to put His own Son to death for you.

    ReplyDelete